If you are considering any unproven or non-traditional complementary method during your cancer treatment, take two important steps before you begin using it.
Research the method carefully and completely.
- Is it safe? How do you know it’s safe?
- Is there any evidence that it is effective for treating colorectal cancer or reducing side effects of treatment?
- What’s the evidence? Is it a clinical trial or simply anecdotal stories from other people?
- Is the evidence based on human tests or limited to test tubes or animals?
- Are you certain that what is listed on the label is actually what is in the bottle?
Discuss your plans fully with your physician!
- Availability of online purchasing.
- Inclusion of patient testimonials.
- Description of the treatment as a “cancer cure.”
- Description of the treatment as “having no side effects.”
Scott C. Matthews M.D. Psychosomatics, April 2003