Community News articles

12974924735_cda69bbe4b_z

Never too Late To Join One Million Strong – Danielle’s Thoughts

Never too Late To Join One Million Strong – Danielle’s Thoughts

I tend to run fashionably late. Meetings, appointments, even conference calls – I struggle to arrive or call-in right on time. This floods into emotional things too – it takes awhile for reality to “sink in” for me. For me to process a moving and emotional experience, and understand what it meant for my life. So – it’s fitting that almost two weeks after our NYC kickoff of One Million Strong – I’m just now able to put to words what the experience meant to me. Or at least try to. I’m still pinching myself that I get to work with the amazing staff and advocates at Fight Colorectal Cancer and

one-million-strong-nasdaq

A TURNING POINT – MICHAEL’S EXPERIENCE AT ONE MILLION STRONG

Every Revolution has a Vision I was up on stage and gazed out at the large space we occupied in NYC at Grand Central Terminal and later at Times Square, where hundreds of people braved the cold and marched to see us ring the closing bell at NASDAQ. I saw people that were listening, experiencing, sharing, learning, crying, smiling and defiant about the number two cancer-related killer of men and women in the U.S. I literally had to pinch myself as I couldn’t believe I was here again, taking an active part in this well-coordinated event to kick off March and raise awareness in the prevention of Colon and Rectal

12951864254_1f2f84c78b

THE JOURNEY – Anjee’s Thoughts about One Million Strong

IT’S ABOUT HOW YOU GET THERE There is a difference between the process and the end product, this is something I’ve had to remind myself throughout my entire life.  I was reminded of this again March 3, 2014. As I looked across Vanderbilt Hall in Grand Central Terminal, I saw the Colon Cancer Alliance’s inflatable colon, young survivors who are the face of The Colon Club, tables manned by Michael’s Mission, the Colon Cancer Challenge, and David Dubin with AliveAndKickn and his beautiful bride, Robin.  It took us 12 months of planning, calls, and more calls, but it’s how we got here that will galvanize a united front in the

one-million-strong-nyc-yoga

NYC ONE MILLION STRONG HIGHLIGHTS

Today was certainly one for the books! Our presence at Grand Central Terminal and via social media was incontestable. We rocked it! We had several news outlets cover the event, Craig Campbell and Carmen Marc Valvo attended, and The Today Show interviewed survivors for a segment later this week. To top it off, Carson Daly retweeted us; did we mention that he has 363,000 followers (yes, we said thousand)?  A huge thank you to our AMAZING advocates, partners, sponsors, and volunteers who faced the bitter cold to join us today in NYC – you guys are the best. We’d also like to thank all of our advocates who joined us

MARY-KAY-AND-MIKE-MORELLI

WE STILL DO – MARY KAY AND MIKE MORELLI

MARY KAY He is my life, my love and my rock! Mike and I met in the summer before my senior year in college and have been inseparable ever since.  I went to Penn State and Mike and I had lots of good times there together.  We got married at 25 years old and have been married for 17 years. Mike was diagnosed with stage III colorectal cancer at age 40 – no history – no signs – healthy…until one day it hit…I have a very large blog about our lives and cancer battle on caring bridge that shares our story – you are welcome to read it for more

DIANA-SCOTT-WE-STILL-DO

We Still Do – Diana & Scott Welch

MEET DIANA & SCOTT WELCH  DIANA’S PERSPECTIVE They say that life crises can sometimes either make or break a marriage or relationship.  My cancer diagnosis (or better said as our cancer diagnosis) has done just that.  Facing this challenge has made our bond stronger, our love deeper, and our compassion more profound. Scott and I were reunited in December 1999 after I sent him a Christmas card as we lived in different states.  We corresponded back and forth for several months and he made several visits to Upstate New York where I had lived at that time (and we are both originally from).  Although the long distance thing was exciting,

jointhemovement-one-million-strong-fight-crc

Meet the One Million Strong – Patricia Christman from Arizona

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET PATRICIA Patricia Christman, Survivor From Glendale, AZ PATRICIA’S STORY In April 2012 I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer.  I had surgery on May 7th, 2012 and found that it was in my lymph nodes so I started my journey with chemo and radiation eight weeks later.  I have wonderful doctors and the treatment teams were loving and caring…a real family.  I am also blessed with the most wonderful family who were with me every step of the way.  I am very happy to say my last PET Scan has

jointhemovement-one-million-strong-fight-crc

Meet the One Million Strong – Lindsey Motley from South Carolina

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET LINDSEY Lindsey Motley, Survivor Greenville, SC LINDSEY’S STORY In April 2013, I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer at 26 years old, while also 17 weeks pregnant with our first child, a girl! I was having bleeding issues from constipation due to prenatal vitamins and pregnancy, which were investigated by colonoscopy. I had a colon resection one week after my diagnosis. I began chemotherapy bi weekly (FOLFOX and 5FU) at 24 weeks pregnant, and completed 12 rounds. Our daughter, Lilla, was born at 37 weeks between rounds 7

PrezProc-slider

BREAKING NEWS: President Issues Proclamation Recognizing March 2014 as National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month

Today, the White House issued a signed proclamation by President Barack Obama recognizing March 2014 as Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Read the Official Press Release from the White House In December 2013, Congressman Donald M. Payne, Jr. (NJ-10) authored and sent a letter to President Barack Obama requesting he issue a presidential proclamation designating March 2014 as National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. One-hundred and forty-six members of Congress signed onto the letter in support of Rep. Payne, Jr.’s efforts to raise awareness about colorectal cancer. It has been over a decade since colorectal cancer has had a presidential proclamation. We thank Congressman Payne for his unwavering leadership and support

Weather Message from Fight Colorectal Cancer – March 3 Event

UPDATE – AS OF MAR. 3 — 6:00AM We celebrate that the weather report has changed and the forecast is looking much milder than originally expected! All activities are ON as planned today! Can’t wait to see everyone! If you’re joining us in NYC, make sure to be on time for each event. We have a packed day ahead of us!   UPDATE – AS OF FEB. 28 — 11:30AM The weather is looking cold (25 degrees) in New York City with likely flurries on Monday. Thank goodness we are inside at Grand Central Terminal’s Vanderbilt Hall! Grand Central Terminal historically stays open. The decision to continue, delay or cancel