Community News articles

jointhemovement-one-million-strong-fight-crc

Meet the One Million Strong – Ashleigh T. from South Carolina

Meet the One Million Strong – Ashleigh T. from South Carolina

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!   Meet Ashleigh Ashleigh Tucker , Family Charleston, SC Ashleigh’s Story In October 2002 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer, he was only 33. He had three small children ages 10, seven, and four, plus my mom. My dad went through chemo, radiation and volunteered for a lot of the research drugs that were going through during that time. My dad was a strong individual he never complained and very rarely did he show us kids how much pain he really was in.  He put up a good

Meet the One Million Strong – Rose from West Virginia

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  Meet Rose Rose, Family member Elkview,WV Rose’s Story My daughter was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in 2010 at the young age of 18. She fought the fight the best she could she passed away November 2,2012 at the young age of 20 year old. That year was the hardest of my life.  Prior to my daughter passing, my mother also passed away on August 10, 2012 and then my daughter passed on my mothers birthday. And it does not get any easier. Rose’s Advice Stay strong and never

Meet the One Million Strong – Bridget V from Florida

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET BRIDGET  Bridget Veal, Survivor Lake Panasoffkee, FL BRIDGET’S STORY It all started with a pain on my right side – which they diagnosed as a fibroid tumor.  Six months later, the same pain on the left side – but too low for an ovary issue.  My CT scan showed a mass, about the size of a grapefruit, engulfing the ovary.  Now, yes I was tired a lot. I’d sleep four hours after coming home each night, but hey, I was coaching and it was the end of the school

Meet the One Million Strong: Jo-Ann C. from Ontario,Canada

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET JO-ANN Jo-Ann Cluney, Survivor Pickering, Ontario, Canada JO-ANN’S STORY I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Colorectal Cancer in November of 2011.  I had a colon resection within two weeks of diagnoses and started chemo and radiation in January of 2012.  Not knowing anyone who had been through this, I was very scared of the unknown.  Thank goodness for sites like this to learn from others who have been there.  My chemo finished in July of 2012 and I have been in remission ever since.  I want people to know

Meet the One Million Strong – Robert D from Red Lake, Minnesota

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET ROBERT Robert DesJarlait, Survivor Red Lake, MN ROBERT’S STORY In April 2013,   I had an endoscopy showing a gastric ulcer that was repaired. At the suggestion of my doctor, I had a follow-up colonoscopy which revealed a large cecal mass. The adenoma (benign tumor) measured 10 cm; however, within the adenoma, there was a 2.5 cm adenocarcinoma (cancerous tumor). It was rated as a T-2 tumor, Stage I cancer. Approximately one-foot of my colon was removed during resection.My oncologist said I was very fortunate to have the colonoscopy when

donate-colon-cancer

CORPORATE GIVING: IT CAN BE EASIER THAN YOU THINK

CORPORATE GIVING by board member Dana Rye Corporate giving might sound like something out of reach, especially at a large company. But as I learned, many companies have huge amounts of money set aside for organizations that are important to their employees. Take for example my old company – an investment bank called Credit Suisse. I started with a fundraising run a few years ago. Credit Suisse agreed to donate $3,000 just for convincing ten coworkers to run or walk the race with me. They also have funds available for volunteer work, board membership and holiday giving. After years of fundraising runs, Credit Suisse agreed to place Fight Colorectal Cancer on

Meet the One Million Strong – Wanda C from Washington

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET WANDA Wanda Charles, Survivor Vancouver, WA WANDA’S STORY I had been having symptoms for 7-8 years, but we had no insurance. It finally got so bad I went to the women’s clinic. The doctor took blood and called the next day. He said something was wrong and that there was some internal bleeding. He set up an appointment for me to see a gastroenterologist. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy and heard “you have cancer” as soon as I got back into the room….in front of my husband and

Meet the One Million Strong – Kimberly B from Florida

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET KIMBERLY Kimberly Bishop, Survivor Osteen, FL KIMBERLY’S STORY I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer in February 2007, at age 34.  I was young, fit, and perfectly healthy in every other way.  I share the same story that is typical of so many young CRC survivors; I was told I had hemorrhoids and IBS and was denied screening for over three years.  My doctor finally decided I need to be scoped and my first colonoscopy revealed a 13cm. sessile villous adenoma at my recto-sigmoid juncture. After colon resection

Greys Anatomy Farting Episode – It’s True!

Recently, the colorectal cancer community received a ‘nod’ from the widely popular ABC show Grey’s Anatomy. In the episode a young woman who’d survived cancer struggled to control her flatulence and bowel movements – many recaps over the past few weeks have even referred to her as “The Farter.” It’s raised many questions within the community – namely, is this true? Do you pass gas a lot more once you’ve had colorectal surgery? To firm this up, we asked Dr. James Waller, a colorectal surgeon from Evansville, Indiana to talk to us about farting. Dr. Waller provides young adult survivors at The Colon Club with answers to some of these obscure questions on a

BookClub

Summer Book Club – My Cancer Year

Need a good summer read? Join Fight Colorectal Cancer this summer for a LIVE ONLINE BOOK CLUB. It works just like any other book club, except instead of meeting as a small group, we’ll log online together to discuss the book. Plus, at the end of the summer, you’ll get the chance to see the author through a live-stream event! Join us this summer & connect with others in the fight! ABOUT THE BOOK My Cancer Year by Curtis Pesmen After too many days of chemo/poison pumping thru my veins, my body sends its 1st signal of being pi*#ed off at the assault… (pg 15) Once you’ve been hit by