Community News articles

_MG_0346

Cancer – Don’t Think Too Hard About It

Cancer – Don’t Think Too Hard About It

by Danielle Burgess, two-time colorectal cancer survivor and Fight CRC’s Communications Director I recently received surprising advice from a counselor. I explained that losing friends to colorectal cancer doesn’t only sadden me – it scares me. Especially as someone with Lynch Syndrome. I can go from mourning the sudden loss of a friend, to feeling a strange pain in my side, to worrying that the pain was more than just gas, to assuming that if it hasn’t already – the cancer will come back, to sorting out how I’m going to tell my family that I’ve been diagnosed again… all in about two minutes. I think this is pretty common among

IMG_2255

Portland One Million Strong Highlights

The day kicked off with flashing lights from a police car leading a parade procession, a snare drum cadence setting the pace. Cheers from a crowd of people dressed in blue and holding rally signs marched through downtown Portland. Roaring engines of light blue concrete and dump trucks followed the marchers until the final destination appeared – Pioneer Courthouse Square. As the parade broke up, colorectal cancer advocates flooded into an open outdoor area, “Portland’s Living Room,” where tables with information about colorectal cancer, games like “Pop the Polyp,” massage chairs and food trucks lined the perimeter. DJ O.G. One played beats from the stage as the whole area focused

roderick-samules-one-million-strong

Cuts for a Cause – Profile Barber Institute Gives Back

Rodrick Samuels is a motivation to many across the U.S. Not only does he run and own Profile Barber Institute and serve as a well-known professional in the personal appearance industry, Rodrick’s also a passionate advocate in the fight against colorectal cancer. On March 21, Rodrick combined his passions and hosted a fundraising event, “Cuts for a Cause,” at Profile Barber with his students. As students styled hair, customers paid… but on this day, all proceeds were donated to Fight Colorectal Cancer. At the end of the day, Rodrick and his students raised more than $200 and donated them to go toward colorectal cancer awareness, research and advocacy.  During Cuts for a Cause, Samuels

josh-wimberly-future-planning

Future Planning for the Cancer Survivor

by Josh Wimberly, Ph.D., LGSW, MSW and rectal cancer survivor Hearing that you have cancer is life changing. There is absolutely no doubt. There exists a struggle to navigate this new piece of identity with which you have been anointed. Elephants Fighting to be Unnoticed in the Room Some of us hide the anxiety better than others brought by all the new hats we have to wear. Even though there are many elephants fighting to be unnoticed in the room, the largest is probably mortality itself. Whether we become the projection of life’s limits to our friends and family, or we are working through our own epiphanies about our vulnerability and

i-heart-booty

I HEART BOOTY: BRINGING ADVOCACY AND AWARENESS THROUGH FUNDRAISING

Generous, motivated and fun are three words we’d use to describe Jesse Sansevere and the guys at I Heart Booty. Last month, they organized a fundraiser at Bertuccis restaurant in Shelton, CT, to raise awareness for Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and funds for Fight Colorectal Cancer. This is all in addition to the buzz they’re creating through the chunky blue “I Heart Booty” brands adorning most all Fight CRC advocates’ wrists these days. “Knowing that colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer related deaths, that it’s curable, and that it has become more frequent in adults younger than 50 drove me to want to do something. Back in 2010,

jointhemovement-one-million-strong-fight-crc

Meet the One Million Strong – Marcia M from West Virginia

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET MARCIA Marcia Mullins, Survivor Huntington, WV MARCIA’S STORY Despite Katie Couric’s warning, when I turned 50 I declined to have a colonoscopy, I didn’t think I was at risk. When I had symptoms at 57, I used hemorrhoid cream and tried to ignore them. Right after my 58th birthday, I had a rectal hemorrhage and was admitted to the hospital for a colonoscopy the next morning. It was not hemorrhoids. It was stage IIIc rectal cancer. After lots of chemo, radiation and surgery, I am now in remission. I could have avoided it

tonya-gigi

Remembering Tonya

I remember the first time I saw Tonya. I immediately knew I liked her. Reading over her application to be a Colondar model, I had no doubt she embodied a survivor everyone would look up to. Pictures didn’t do her justice. Yes, her beauty hopped off the page. But it was her strong spirit and insistence on being positive that could only come across in person. It was at her 2014 Colondar photo shoot that I didn’t only realize she made an incredible model – I realized she was also an ideal advocate. “We have got to DO SOMETHING about this!” she kept saying. “I tell people that you become

12953095254_7ae0495967

Reaching Millions through One Million Strong

Summary:  The New York City kickoff of One Million Strong reached millions as people participated in the event in Grand Central Terminal, logged online and lent their media outlets to ‘march’ for the cause on March 3, 2014. Success in The City: Our event did not disappoint. So many survivors, caregivers and advocates braved the cold and traveled amidst winter weather advisories to join us! THANK YOU to all of you who came out to march with us! The day was absolutely amazing. Here were a few of our high-points: > Grand Central Terminal hosted our event as hundreds came and participated in yoga and zumba, walked-through the Colon Cancer

12974924735_cda69bbe4b_z

Never too Late To Join One Million Strong – Danielle’s Thoughts

I tend to run fashionably late. Meetings, appointments, even conference calls – I struggle to arrive or call-in right on time. This floods into emotional things too – it takes awhile for reality to “sink in” for me. For me to process a moving and emotional experience, and understand what it meant for my life. So – it’s fitting that almost two weeks after our NYC kickoff of One Million Strong – I’m just now able to put to words what the experience meant to me. Or at least try to. I’m still pinching myself that I get to work with the amazing staff and advocates at Fight Colorectal Cancer and

one-million-strong-nasdaq

A TURNING POINT – MICHAEL’S EXPERIENCE AT ONE MILLION STRONG

Every Revolution has a Vision I was up on stage and gazed out at the large space we occupied in NYC at Grand Central Terminal and later at Times Square, where hundreds of people braved the cold and marched to see us ring the closing bell at NASDAQ. I saw people that were listening, experiencing, sharing, learning, crying, smiling and defiant about the number two cancer-related killer of men and women in the U.S. I literally had to pinch myself as I couldn’t believe I was here again, taking an active part in this well-coordinated event to kick off March and raise awareness in the prevention of Colon and Rectal