As a member of the One Voice Against Cancer (OVAC) we are pleased to be participating in the annual OVAC Lobby Day. Join us in June as we head to the hill to ask Congress to increase funding for cancer research.
- May 12, 2010 – Last day to submit scholarship application
- May 24, 2010 – Last day to register for OVAC Lobby Day
- May 24, 2010 – Last day to reserve a hotel room at the special OVAC rate
- June 16, 2010 – Lobby Day begins at 12:00 PM
- June 17, 2010 – Lobby Day ends at 5:00 PM
Location: The Liaison Capitol Hill Hotel (415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001)
OVAC has negotiated a discounted room rate of $269 a night at the The Liaison Capitol Hill hotel, and all training sessions will be held at this hotel.
During the Lobby Day, you will be going to the hill to ask Members of Congress to support increased funding for cancer research. Specifically, you will be asking Members to support the following funding requests:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) – $35.2 billion ($4.2 billion (13.5%) over FY 2010)
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) – $5.79 billion ($691 million (13.5%) over FY 2010)
- National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD) – $240 million ($29 million (13.5%) over FY 2010)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control (CDC) – $601 million ($126 million (26%) over FY 2010)
- CDC’s National Comprehensive Cancer Control Program – $50 million ($29 million over FY 2010)
- CDC’s National Program of Cancer Registries – $65 million ($14 million over FY 2010)
- CDC’s Colorectal Cancer Screening, Education & Outreach Initiative – $50 million ($5 million over FY 2010)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – $2.857 billion ($500 million (21%) over FY 2010)
This year we have a unique opportunity to demonstrate the tremendous advances made in the fight against cancer thanks to recent increases in federal funding and urging Congress to build on this progress. Register today to let your voice be heard regarding the importance of increased funding for cancer research.
The registration deadline is May 24, 2010. When you register, you will be asked to select a participant type. You should select “OVAC Partners” and be sure to identify yourself as a C3 advocate. If you have any problems with the registration form, or would like additional information about the OVAC Lobby Day please contact Catherine Knowles at Catherine.Knowles@FightCRC.org.