Today, Gene Dodaro, Comptroller General of the United States and head of the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), announced the appointment of the following 15 individuals to the Methodology Committee of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI).
The members appointed to the Methodology Committee are:
- Naomi Aronson, PhD, Executive Director, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Technology Evaluation Center.
- Ethan Basch, MD, MSc, medical oncologist and health services researcher, Department of Medicine and Department of Epidemiology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
- Alfred Berg, MD, MPH, Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington.
- David Flum, MD, MPH, Professor, Department of Surgery and Adjunct Professor, Department of Health Services, University of Washington Schools of Medicine and Public Health; Attending physician, General Surgery, University of Washington Medical Center.
- Sherine Gabriel, MD, MSc, Professor of Medicine and of Epidemiology, and the William J. and Charles H. Mayo Professor, Mayo Clinic.
- Steven Goodman, MD, PhD, Professor of Oncology, of Pediatrics, of Epidemiology and of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Mark Helfand, MD, MS, MPH, Professor of Medicine and of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health & Science University; Staff physician, Portland VA Medical Center.
- John Ioannidis, MD, DSc, the C.F. Rehnborg Professor in Disease Prevention, Professor of Medicine and Director, Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine.
- David Meltzer, MD, PhD, Director, Center for Health and the Social Sciences, Chief of the Section of Hospital Medicine, and Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Department of Economics, and Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Brian Mittman, PhD, Director, VA Center for Implementation Practice and Research Support, Department of Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System.
- Robin Newhouse, PhD, RN, Assistant Dean, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program and Associate Professor, Organizational Systems and Adult Health, University of Maryland School of Nursing.
- Sharon-Lise Normand, MSc, PhD, Professor of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School and Professor of Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health.
- Sebastian Schneeweiss, MD, ScD, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health; Vice Chief and Director, Drug Evaluation and Outcomes Research, Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
- Mary Tinetti, MD, Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology, and Public Health, Division of Geriatrics, Yale University School of Medicine; Director, Program on Aging, Yale University School of Medicine.
- Clyde Yancy, MD, MSc, Chief, Cardiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine; Associate Director, The Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute, Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
“The Methodology Committee has the responsibility of helping PCORI develop and update methodological standards and guidance for comparative clinical effectiveness research. The men and women named today bring impressive credentials and experience to this important task,” Dodaro said.
In addition to the 15 members appointed today, the Director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Director of the National Institutes of Health, or their designees, will also serve on the committee.
Under the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, PCORI is tasked with assisting patients, clinicians, purchasers, and policymakers in making informed health decisions by providing quality, relevant evidence on how best to prevent, diagnose, treat, and monitor diseases and other health conditions.