Tag Archives: Genetics

WEAR-BLUE-FOR-MOM

Meet the One Million Strong – Natia Porter from New York

Meet the One Million Strong – Natia Porter from New York

Be a part of One Million Strong and tell us how colorectal cancer has impacted your life! Share your story now!  MEET NATIA Natia Porter, Family New York, NY NATIA’S STORY Lynch syndrome or (wrongly called) non-polyposis colorectal cancer runs in genes from my mother’s side. It is wrongly called because it predisposes us up to 8 different types of cancers on a different degree. The first, the almost 99% predisposition is to colon caners, then uterus cancer, renal cancer, ovarian, brain and so on.  In my family, as I later discovered, there has been many colon cancers, many uterus cancers, some renal and one-brain cancer cases. However, I did not

Genetic Counselor Joins Medical Advisory Board

Long before Angelina Jolie gripped the American public’s attention by announcing her double mastectomy due to a genetic mutation, Fight Colorectal Cancer had been educating patients about family histories, plus supporting and reporting research advances in genetics—especially Lynch syndrome. One of our most reliable sources for patient information and webinars  has been Heather Hampel, MS, CGC, a genetic counselor for 18 years, and Associate Director of the Division of Human Genetics at the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center. We’re proud to announce that Heather Hampel is now an official member of our Medical Advisory Board. She first became aware of Fight Colorectal Cancer years ago when the late Kate Murphy, (one

Two Advances in Understanding, Treating Painful Chemo Neuropathy

Recent studies show some promise in understanding chemo-caused neuropathy, and perhaps in using a common medicine to ease the worst symptoms in some people. Study shows neuropathy relief for some using antidepressant  A well-designed clinical study has provided the first evidence that the antidepressant Cymbalta® (duloxetine) can provide some patients with significant relief from peripheral neuropathy caused by chemotherapy. From 20 to 40 percent of cancer patients given neurotoxic chemotherapy–taxanes, platinum-based including Eloxatin® (oxaliplatin), vinca alkaloids, bortezomib–will develop painful peripheral neuropathy (numbness, tingling, burning in hands or feet). If the pain is severe, colorectal cancer patients often have to reduce the dose or stop taking Eloxatin. Even then, this painful condition

New-Year-by-Kate-150x150

“You Don’t Own Me….” But do you own part of my genes?

The U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments Monday in a case that both sides consider absolutely vital to the future of medical research. The case: Can a company take out a patent on a human gene? Or, as the company Myriad Genetics told the Court, not actually a patent on a gene, but a patent on isolated sections of DNA molecules that they synthetically re-create in the lab to make a test for the gene. Patents were created 150 years ago in the Constitution as temporary protection of new inventions, thus giving economic incentive for inventors. But there is a clear rule that you cannot patent “a product of nature.” During oral

The Worldview of DNA Busted Wide Open

Time to start printing new biology textbooks: The scientific—and medical—picture of the human cell changed today from a outer-space snapshot to detailed Google map. In a blizzard of more than 30 scientific papers published today in multiple basic scientific journals, an international research collaboration has flung open the door of the “wiring closet” of human cells–exposing at least four million gene switches that can both flick our genes on and off, and, like an electric outlet dimmer, work together in minute adjustments to turn genes up or down. Scientists had originally assumed that only 3% of DNA was active in directing cell functions through the genes, with the other 97%

Colorectal Cancer Molecules and Genes Reveal Surprises

A Labor Day salute to the hard-working scientists—doctors, PhDs, lab techs, technology inventors—who have done some  heavy lifting to peer into the tiniest recesses of cells, genes, and molecules to unravel what makes colorectal cancer happen. In the widest and deepest effort to date, the Cancer Genome Atlas Project has produced some surprises and key clues about colorectal cancer, published recently in the journal Nature. It was almost “ industrial-strength genetics to try to unpick and take apart the genetic coding,” according to Dr. David Kerr, professor at the University of Oxford and Past President of the European Society for Medical Oncology.  One of the surprises for colorectal cancer—the third

Top