Health and Wellness for Colorectal Cancer Survivors During Coronavirus
Fight Colorectal Cancer (Fight CRC) wants to ensure all colorectal cancer patients and caregivers can maintain their own physical and emotional health and wellness during this difficult time. Below you will find a curated selection of Fight CRC patient resources to help support you.
In addition, here are some ideas on managing your anxiety:
- Get your information from a reputable source. There are a lot of opinion pieces out there, and there’s a lot of false information as well. Your best bet for accurate information is from your local public health department, the World Health Organization, and research institutions.
- Limit your time on social media. It’s easy to spend hours down the rabbit hole. Get the information that you’re after, scroll through stories, and put down your device.
- Make sure you have what you need. Social distancing means staying away from groups of people. Therefore, avoid restaurants and shopping malls. With that said, make sure you have what you need – food to last a few weeks, household items like cleaning supplies and paper goods (again, enough for a few weeks – not a few years!).
- Breathe. Stop what you are doing, and take five deep, full belly breaths. This will bring you into the present moment and into a place of mindfulness.
- Get some fresh air. Spend time in your backyard or on your patio if you have one, or go for a walk in the neighborhood. Research shows that spending time in nature can reduce stress and anxiety. If you are under self-quarantine, stick to your own yard or patio for the duration.
- Call your loved ones. Check-in on your friends and family!
- Exercise. If you can, incorporate some physical activity into your routine. Not comfortable going to the gym or a group class? There are a lot of free YouTube exercise videos available, and a number of apps designed to help you stay active.
Just a note that these prerecorded and prewritten resources may encourage coming together in person. During this time of social distancing, which is particularly vital for those who are immunocompromised, Fight CRC instead encourages everyone to seek out creative ways to come together virtually — whether through Zoom or Fight CRC’s Advocates Facebook Group.
From the Fight CRC Blog: Health and Wellness for Colorectal Cancer Survivors
Wellness Wednesday on Fight CRC’s Facebook
Join Fight CRC on Facebook every other Wednesday at 11 AM EST for Wellness Wednesday, where we’ll feature a creative wellness topic with an expert. From mindfulness to what books to read to as you’re social distancing, we’ll keep you focused on you!
Fight CRC’s first Wellness Wednesday with Andrea Lee, BSN, RN, is a mindfulness
and mindset coach for Mindful Cube Consulting
Thank You Sponsors
Fight CRC’s partnership with the Cancer Support Community hotline has temporarily extended its hours during this crisis, and staff is prepared to answer questions about coronavirus and coping with social isolation. Live assistance is available from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday.