As the leading national advocacy organization, Fight CRC is proud to have such a strong presence on Capitol Hill. Here are a few ways we’re involved:
- Our Director of Government Relations is based in D.C. and regularly meets with health policy coalitions and members of Congress. She frequently discusses our legislative goals and strategizes how we can work together to change policy.
- Congressional Advisory Committee members issue Dear Colleague and Sign-on Letters to other members of Congress. This raises awareness of the issues and of colorectal cancer in general.
- We organize Call-on Congress, our annual advocacy event.
- We create a virtual presence on the Hill. When advocates take action online through our Action Center, members of Congress receive emails, tweets and petition signatures. This lets them know colorectal cancer is an important issue.
- We engage governors by requesting yearly state proclamations for Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month.
There are thousands of issues in Congress – how do we decide which ones to focus on?! Fight CRC works with our coalitions, Congressional Advisory Committee, advocacy staff and board members to determine where to focus our advocacy efforts.
We also listen to our advocates to find out what issues affect patients and their communities. We need feedback! If you have a policy issue you think we should address, contact our advocacy team.
Our current legislative goals involve:
- Removing Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screenings
- Increasing Funding for Colorectal Cancer Research
- Protecting the Best Interest of Patients
Get the details about all of the legislative goals and issues we’re monitoring!
How to get involved
Anyone can be an advocate – either through grassroots efforts or lobbying on the Hill! It’s important to sign up so you can be notified about important dates and needs.Register as an Advocate
Each March we host Call-on Congress! At Call-on Congress we train you on how to share your story and give you background on the asks you make to Congress. We schedule your meetings for you, all you have to do is register and get there. If you can’t make it to the Hill, we create a way for you to take virtual action.Learn More About Call-on Congress
Are you a DC local looking to get more involved on the Hill? Want to champion colorectal cancer alongside us? We’re always looking for individuals located within a close distance to DC. Sign up as a local volunteer if this is you!
Does advocacy work?
It can take a long time to change policy. We celebrate success along the way! Some advocacy successes include:
- Contacting Congress nearly 800 times asking for support of removing barriers to colorectal cancer screenings (H.R. 1220/S. 624) – and gaining nearly 20 new co-sponsors as a result!
- Saving colorectal cancer research from being cut (Read the story!)
- Reaching more co-sponsors than ever before on the Removing Barriers to Colorectal Cancer Screening Act (H.R. 1220/S. 624)
- Contacting Congress nearly 10,000 times as part of our Virtual Lobby Day