Paying for Treatment
When fighting cancer, paying for treatment is the last thing a patient and their family should have to worry about. But the reality is, cancer treatment is costly, even with insurance. Resources are available for survivors and their loved ones.
Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) help patients who have difficulty paying for prescription medications.
State governments, charitable organizations, and drug companies offer PAP programs that provide discounted or free medications to people who financially and medically qualify; some also help file appeals to insurance companies who deny coverage for certain medications.
Drug Company Assistance Programs
Nearly every drug company has a PAP (mostly for the products they produce).
- Camptosar® (irinotecan) www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com or call 1.866.706.2400
- Eloxatin® (oxaliplatin) www.visitspconline.com or call 1.888.847.4877
- Avastin® (bevacizumab) www.genentech-access.com or call 1.866.422.2377
- Erbitux® (cetuximab) www.lillytruassist.com or call 1.855.559.8783
- Vectibix® (panitumumab), Aranesp® (Darbepoetin), Neulasta® (Pegfilgrastim) www.amgenassist.com or call 1.888.427.7478
- Stivarga® (regorafenib) www.stivarga-us.com or call 1.866.639.2827
- Zaltrap® (ziv-Aflibercept) www.zaltrap.com or call 1.855.925.8727
- Oncotype DX® www.oncotypedx.com or call 1.866.662.6897
- Procrit® www.janssenaccessone.com or call 1.800.553.3851
- Cyramza® (ramucirumab) call 1.866.472.8663
- LONSURF® (TAS-102) https://www.taihopatientsupport.com/ or call 844.824.4648
Get more support
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) offers a Virtual Reimbursement Guide that explains reimbursements, co-pay support, assistance programs, and more for certain drug types.
Nonprofit Financial Assistance Programs
- Advocacy Connector (search for financial assistance near you)
- Cancer Care Financial Assistance or call 1.800.813.4673 (limited financial assistance for cancer-related costs such as transportation and child care)
- Cancer Care Co-Payment Assistance Foundation or call 1.866.552.6729 (co-pay assistance for chemo & targeted therapies)
- HealthWell Foundation or call 1.800.675.8416 (funds to help patients)
- Needy Meds or call 1.800.503.6897 (help with the cost of medicine)
- Medicine Assistance Tool (search engine for many of the patient assistance resources that the biopharmaceutical industry offers)
- Patient Advocate Foundation or call 1.800.532.5274 (scholarships, co-pay assistance, & more)
- Cancer Support Community (In partnership with Airbnb provides free housing for patients and caregivers if they meet certain geographic and income criteria. Call the CSC Airbnb Helpline, 877.793.0498, to apply for the program)
This is not an all-inclusive list of manufacturing and nonprofit organizations offering financial assistance. There may be local organizations in your area that offer assistance as well. To search for more resources, visit
- Stupid Cancer’s list of financial aid resources (young adults)
- The National Cancer Institute
- American Cancer Society (local search)
Let’s Stay In Touch